What Id do I have to have to Vote?

There was a court ruling on TX voter ID law, so what do I need to take with me to vote this year?


If you are not able to get one of the seven forms of approved photo ID listed below, you can vote by (1) signing a declaration at the polls explaining why you are unable to get one of the forms of approved ID, and (2) providing one of these forms of supporting documentation:

  • certified birth certificate (must be an original from the county; hospital certificates are not accepted),
  • valid voter registration certificate
  • copy or original of one of the following:
    • current utility bill,
    • bank statement,
    • government check,
    • paycheck,
    • or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter,
      • original required if it contains a photograph.

After presenting ONE of these supporting documents, you must fill out and sign a "Reasonable Impediment Declaration" - the Election workers SHOULD give you one automatically, but if they don't, make sure you go through the trouble to get one or your vote will be discarded and not counted.  If you have an excuse, like "I forgot" they will also discard your vote, you must have a reasonable impediment or difficulty to getting a PhotoID, like not having resources to buy one, etc.

If you encounter any problems with this process, you have the right to speak to the Election Judge.  If that person does not follow these rules and provide the proper documentation, please get their full name and a photo of their id, and the name of their supervisor.  This will allow you to file a formal complaint that we have a volunteer to help you with.  Contact us at 512.551.0310 from the polling station.

Here is a list of the acceptable forms of photo ID:

  • Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
  • Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS  (see below)
  • Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
  • Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS
  • United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
  • United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
  • United States passport

The identification must be current or have expired no more than 4 years before the day you vote (2012).  the only exception is the U.S. citizenship certificate, which shouldn't have an expiration date.

Election Identification Certificates are available from DPS driver license offices during regular business hours. Find mobile station locations here.


source: http://www.votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/need-id

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.